Trying to buy the tv version of those upside down hanging tomato plants didn’t work, so we decided to build our own DIY upside down hanging tomato plants with flowers.
The first step, buy empty hanging pots, or use ones from previous years like I did. (Don’t mind the dirt).
You will also need to purchase a couple of coffee filters.
I chose small ones, next you will cut half way through.
Set that aside, and find the hole at the bottom of the pot. Its best if its 1-2″ so that you can shove the tomato through without too much trouble.
Next you will need to purchase or grow some tomatoes to put through the bottom section. It worked so well last year, that I decided to buy 2 plants to put through the bottom.
Push through the hole, then hold it steady. If you decide to put another tomato through push it to the side to make room and shove the next one in. (Repeat process.)
Next you will put the filter INSIDE the pot and around the roots so that it will secure the roots and keep the dirt and tomatoes from falling out. From there, open the roots (tear them slightly) to make them wider and give them more space to grow.
Add some dirt until its about half way full.
It gets so hot here, I bought some polymer to put in the plants mid way through. This is sold at plant stores. It helps the pots retain water, so they don’t dry out and die.
Next fill a little more dirt then add your flower selection. I make sure I always add a Marigold. They attract bees, thrive well with the tomatoes, and add a nice pop of color. The other flowers added were merely to add more color.
I add a little more dirt after that to secure the flowers and water with Miracle Grow for the first time to give it that extra something.
This is the final result:
Note: I hung these and added a drip line to ensure they are watered properly daily.
Do you ever get bored with looking at the same room day in and day out? Yea, me too! I was looking at my bathroom and it looked like a creamy peach color with a pedestal sink. It was outdated and boring. Basically, I thought this would be a quick weekend project that literally took me months to full complete. UGH!!
Meanwhile, this photo was taken after that “DIY Itch” had taken over. This was the first step I took was Mudding all of the holes and unevenness that had occurred on the walls.
At this point I knew I wanted to paint it a grey tone, but as the professional that I am I went to Home Depot and selected a few paint colors to test with the lighting in the bathroom and stuck them on the wall to see which looked best.
I also knew I wanted to update the shelves in the bathroom to make it feel more “industrial”.
I also knew I wanted to somehow update the light fixtures and I was really feeling that Edison bulb vibe. Target Edison Bulb
So I unscrewed all the light bulbs and shoved paper towels in the sockets so I would spray that, and I found a black spray paint from Home Depot to spray the mirrored part with. I then found some Edison type of bulbs from Target that I put back in to finish the project up!
Next I decided on a paint color of white and grey. The Grey I decided on was called Dorian Grey (50 shades of grey) lol. I used Glidden Diamond paint. From there I knew I wanted stripes on the wall and thought to myself, “Ya this will be easy”. HA! Boy I was wrong. I ended up using Pinterest for help with this. So basically the next step was a doozy. If you do this yourself you will have to decide how thick you want the stripes and how many you want on the wall. From there you will need to measure the whole wall and start dividing out the numbers until you find which works best for that wall. Once I had done that I had to start marking the wall with a pencil for my tape lines. I used normal painters tape and it was an epic fail. I decided to buy the FROG tape and it was majestic. No blurred lines or bleeds, just perfect lines. Paint Lines
I also decided to spruce up the vanity with a new install. It involved cutting pipes and new fixtures, definitely a lot of YouTube watching to learn how to do it all, but I managed after being sprayed in the face several times to figure it out. #WORTHIT Vanity
Next I wanted to add a little pizzaz to the mirror so I decided to frame it. I bought 4 pieces of baseboard from Home Depot and had it cut to the dimensions along with 4 little box end pieces to put on the ends. I also bought a dark stain to match the cabinets of the new vanity. Here is the process I followed. Frame Mirror
I also updated the shelves by staining them with the same color as the vanity and replacing the wall brackets with metal (unpainted) ones to give it that “industrial vibe”.
From here I replaced the light in the bathroom to a track light to give the bathroom better lighting. This is a basement bathroom and the only natural light is from a tiny window that is under the deck. You can buy kits that are pretty easy to install. (Again watching YouTube) lol. Track Lighting
Next was the final step…besides decorating. I wanted to hang a mirror so I could see the back of my hair while standing in front of the other mirror. My grandma had always had a mirror hanging like this and I was always so envious. However, a medicine cabinet mirror was out of the question. I stained the mirror to match the vanity. I hung the mirror and it is fabulous!
I got to decorate now. My mom bought me a cute “G” with lights in it I hung in the window. I bought a few Buddha’s to place throughout the bathroom and a succulent to add a little life to my sink.